How often do you clean your makeup brushes?
This practice should not be overlooked, as it is one of the most important things we should do before reusing of makeup tools. Makeup brushes can be a breeding ground for bacteria and natural oils that transmits onto your brushes; every time they come into contact with your skin. Especially if you use them on clients; it is possible that you are picking up germs and transferring them to the skin. Washing makeup brushes should be a regular part of one’s beauty routine; whether by doing it daily or weekly but not monthly. When you use makeup brushes bits of makeup, oil dirt and even bacteria often times get trapped between the brush bristles. Taking proper care of your makeup brushes can prevent clogged pores and pesky breakouts; it also helps to maintain the quality of your brush. So learning how to clean the brushes properly is one of the best ways to protect your investment.
When to clean makeup brushes?
Cleaning makeup brushes is very quick and easy. For daily cleaning one can purchase a daily brush cleaner and by spraying it on the brushes after each use will help to maintain the brushes. For once a week, a deep cleaning treatment is required. (Note that brushes will need more time to dry after deep cleaning).
Wash your brushes preferably at night and allow them to dry so they will be ready for the next day, or right after you apply your makeup. You just want to make sure you allow enough time for them to dry thoroughly before using.
Follow these steps to learn how to deep clean makeup brushes:
You will need:
- A shallow bowl
- Gentle clarifying shampoo or baby shampoo
- Olive oil
- Paper towel or a clean cloth
1. Run your brushes under lukewarm water, rinse out all of the makeup residues. Focus mainly on the actual bristles and avoid water to get close to the handle; as this can loosen the glue that holds the bristles.
2. Fill the bowl with lukewarm water and add a small amount of shampoo and olive oil then gently swirl the brush tip in the water. You can also swirl the brush bristles in the palm of your hand to work up a lather.
3. Rinse the brush bristles under running water and repeat steps 2 and then rinse until the water runs clear from the brush bristles.
4. Use a cloth or paper towel to wipe brush clean, and reshape bristles as you go.
5. Lay the brushes flat on a cloth or paper towel to dry.
There are also specially formulated brush cleaning shampoo on the market, that can be purchased online or in stores. A gentle clarifying or baby shampoo will do the trick though.
Brush Cleaning Tips
- To clean the handle of the brush, use rubbing alcohol to disinfect the handles.
- Apply clear nail polish over the numbers or names that are written on the brush, so they will not wear off and brushes will be easier to be identified.
- For keeping brushes feeling soft use a small amount of conditioner and massage it gently into the bristles, rinse with lukewarm water and lay flat to dry.
Thanks for viewing my blog, feel free to leave a comment…