Yes, you can clean your jewelry, even the most precious ones, at home. There is no need for you to pay an expensive jewelry cleaner to do the job. You can even use some of the things you have in your home to make your gold, silver, gemstones, and pearls shining as new. Are you ready to learn how to clean your jewelry at home the right way?
Easy Ways to Clean Gold Jewelry
To clean gold jewelry, follow these steps:
- Prepare a gold bath solution. Mix some drops of dishwashing liquid with a small amount of warm water in a bowl. You can also use a mixture of ½ cup of ammonia and 1 cup of water as a cleaning solution.
- Put your gold jewelry in a small strainer.
- Place the strainer (with your gold).
- Let the gold soak for around five minutes.
- Swish the jewelry around the bowl.
- Remove the gold from the cleaning solution and put them on a soft linen or cloth.
- Get a toothbrush and clean the chain links, crevices, and small nooks of the jewelry.
- Put the jewelry back on the strainer and rinse them under running water.
- Dry the gold jewelry with a soft dry cloth.
For pieces of gold that are very hard to clean, you can soak it in boiling water. Be sure that your gold jewelry is not cold. Put it in a small bowl and pour boiling water until it is fully submerged. Wait for the water to cool down. Then scrub the gold in places where there is stubborn dirt.
How to Clean Diamonds and Other Gemstones
You can also clean diamonds and other precious gemstones at home. Use ordinary tap water. Mix it with a dash of dish soap and alka seltzer. Then follow the same procedure to clean tarnished gold jewelry. If you bought your old precious jewel at a diamond Vancouver store, it will look new if you do this process.
Easy Way to Clean Pearls
For pearls that have lost their luster, you can use hair shampoo mixed with warm water. Here’s how to do it:
- Lay the strands of pearls on a soft and clean cloth.
- Get a small makeup brush and dip it into a mixture of a small amount of shampoo and warm water.
- Gently brush each pearl until you see that their luster is restored.
- Use a clean soft cloth to rinse the pearls.
- Hand the strands of pearls to allow them to dry.
Don’t soak the pearls into any cleaning solution. This will weaken the strand that holds them together. You can also use this cleaning method for your opals and turquoise jewelry.
Easy Way to Clean Silver
Silver polish is one way you can clean your silver pieces. But what if your silver polish runs out? Here’s another way of cleaning silver jewelry.
- Mix a small amount of dish soap with warm water.
- Dip a soft cloth in this solution.
- Rub the silver surfaces with this wet cloth.
- Stop rubbing when the tarnish is removed.
- Buff the clean silver pieces with a dry and soft cloth.
Another way of cleaning silver is by using toothpaste. Here’s how to do it.
- Use white toothpaste and not the gel type. Put some of it on your finger or on a small cloth and rub it gently in the tarnished silver piece.
- Rinse well and buff the silver piece with a soft dry cloth.
Use baking soda to clean heavily tarnished silver jewelry.
- Get a bowl and mix one part water and three parts baking soda to produce a paste.
- Dab a soft cloth to the paste. Wet the silver piece and apply the paste to the tarnished silver.
- As you work the paste into the crevices, turn the cloth as it removes the tarnish from the silver.
As you can see, you don’t have to spend so much to clean your gold, silver, Vancouver diamond ring, and other pieces of jewelry. With common household things, you can restore the old glory of your jewelry.