Often times we come across product labels but they are not made easy to read and understand. We might not even trust the claims that brands/manufacturers place on these products. For all natural products there are no regulatory guidelines for what makes a product “natural”. If a product is made from organic ingredients then more than likely it contains a minimum of 70% certified-organic ingredients. To avoid any chemical harm one has to understand the different uses of ingredients listed and/or used to create the product. Below is a list of bad hair product ingredients that you should avoid:
- Chlorine is often used in our everyday life such as the use of tap water, swimming pool, laundry products etc., so it cannot be avoided. If not treated correctly chlorine will strip the natural oils from the hair that prevents damage and daily wear. Always coat hair with oil and silicone based product before going to the pool.
- Diethanolamine (DEA), Momoethnanolamine (MEA) and Triethanolamme (TEA) chemical can throw off hormone levels and form cancer. Foamy boosters, conditioning agents care products such as hair dyes, wave sets,shampoos and cleansing products are more likely to contain this ingredient .
- Isopropyl Alcohol also known as rubbing alcohol is drying and harsh to natural hair. This ingredient can be found in hair sprays, gels, fragrances and shaving lotions. Products that contain Isopropyl Alcohol tends to dry out the hair, make it frizzy, dull and cause breakage.
- Mineral Oil coats the hair and acts as a natural barrier to moisture getting in the hair. If used too often it can cause the hair to become dry and brittle. The more mineral oil consumed the more likely the hair dries out and become weak and thin.
- Polyethylene Glycol can be found in shampoo, hair conditioner and styling product. PEG strips the hair of it’s natural moisture and weakens the immune system.
- Propylene Glycol absorbs quickly into the hair and is used as an anti-freeze. PG is used to break down protein. It can be used in some skin care and cosmetic products like deodorants. Overexposure of PG can cause damage to organs such as the brain, lungs and liver.
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) & Sodium Lauryle Sulfate (SLS) ingredients can be found in products that foam such as hair conditioner, soaps, shower gels, shampoo, toothpaste etc. Often times car wash soaps or floor cleaners contains this type of ingredient. Just by doing a Google search you can see claims about this ingredient causing hair loss.
Harmful chemicals that suffer #hair growth. #blackgirlmagic #curlyhair Click To Tweet
Next time before you purchase or apply a product to your hair take these ingredients into consideration so that you can prevent damage to your hair and instead achieve a much healthier, thicker hair. Click here to read about building a hair regimen.