The fast-lane lives that we are living today may be wreaking havoc on our health. While we are busy in the hustle bustle of life, we might be ignoring our personal well-being. There is no surprise that most of us are suffering from stress, depression, chronic medical conditions, and chronic pains. In such situations, we find it easy to pop a pill and find instant relief, but little do we know that these medicines are causing more harm than good to our bodies. However, there is a gentle way of self-healing, an alternative healing therapy called Acupressure. Unlike western forms of medicine and therapy, this technique stresses on healing through the power of touch. Using acupressure points, experts have been healing several common and chronic disorders for centuries.
What is Acupressure?
Acupressure is an ancient alternative medicine technique that originated 5000 years ago in China. It is a therapeutic technique that uses the touch of fingers on acupressure points in the body to stimulate the body’s self-healing energies. According to the ideology, the acupressure points for healing are located in various parts of the body that are massaged in order to activate the free flow of Qi, the life-force energy and relieve, restore and rebalance the body. As per the principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine, the body has 14 meridians or channels that connect vital organs to other parts of the body. These acupressure points lie within these meridians. It is when Qi or Chi is blocked on these points, the symptoms or medical conditions emerge. Some practitioners term this technique as acupuncture without needles.
How Does it Work?
Under the acupressure health care system, there are acupoints and they must be gently yet firmly massaged or applied pressure on for healing and relief of the symptoms. Massaging these points in a circular motion for at least a few seconds is a must in order to activate these acupressure points for good health, pain relief, stress relief and more. Once the points are stimulated enough, expect to feel the effects of Qi penetrating in the body. Remain calm and relaxed and take deep breaths as you begin to feel better. The body shall find balance and you should feel the muscles relaxing.
Uses and Benefits of Acupressure Points in Body?
Acupressure is an age-old healing technique that is being used to treat a variety of ailments, common and chronic both. Besides, it promotes overall health and wellbeing. Acupressure points for good health help relieve stress, tension, depression, and anxiety. Also, it helps in improving sleep pattern, relieving pain, and relaxing muscles and joints. In the field of sports, it is used to relieve pain due to injury. It boosts the digestive system, immune system, and nervous system. It is commonly used to heal headaches, back pains, and other chronic pains. At the same time, it has proven to be effective in improving the hormonal system and the body’s natural ability to heal itself. Over the years, it has been used to treat cancer-related fatigue and morning sickness for pregnant women.
Best Acupressure Points to Improve General Health
- Bigger Rushing: There are about 12 acupoints on foot. This one is commonly used pressure points to relieve stress, anxiety and emotional imbalance. It induces calmness and a sense of relaxation. This point is located between the big and second toe. Around three fingers in the hollow, this point can be located.
- Third Eye: This is a master point to accentuate emotional, mental and spiritual growth and abilities. Additionally, it helps in healing headaches, eye strain and improves sleep pattern. It is also effective in relieving sinus pain and congestion. On the forehead, it lies at the center point where the eyebrows must meet. This point can be activated using the middle finger.
- The Point of Longevity: This is a powerful point under the acupressure health care system, and it can heal numerous different ailments. It is located below the kneecap, on the outer side of the leg. Massaging this point can repair the body against serious issues like Asthma, depression, anxiety, gastrointestinal function, and more.
- Gushing Spring: This is the kidney point and it is located on the sole of the foot, close to the second or third toe. Pressing it firmly can help you treat feelings of fatigue as well as cleanse or detox the body through kidneys.
- Joining Valley: This is one of the most commonly used pressure points to relieve pain, especially headaches, eye strain, back pain, toothache and more. It is easily located on the dorsum of the hand. It lies in the web of flesh between first and second metacarpal bones on the hand. It is also effective in treating gastric and abdominal pain.
- Sea of Qi: This is the acupressure point for an energy boost, and it is located on the lower abdomen. It is situated just 2 finger width below the navel. Pressing this point instantly give you energy and relieve fatigue. It is also a great acupressure point for liver health and detoxes your body.
- Leg Three Miles: This point is located four-finger width downward from the base of the kneecap. It is an amazing point to treat digestive issues like diarrhea, constipation, gastritis, abdominal pain, Nausea, vomiting and more. This point helps in achieving overall wellness.
- Pericardium: The Pericardium is a very effective point that is located at three-fingers width, right below the palm, where there are two large tendons located. This point is great to heal common everyday health issues, and feelings of nausea, vomiting, headaches, chest pain, and carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Sacral Points: This point is especially great for improving women’s uterus health and reduce menstrual cramps during periods. Additionally, this is a great pressure point to relieve pain especially sciatica and lower back pain. It is located at the base of the spine and above the tailbone.
- Heavenly Pillar: This is a pair of acupressure points for healing. It can be accessed by touching the base of the skull on both sides. This point must be massaged to relax anxiety, headache, stress, neck pain, and eye strain.
The great news is that you do not have to visit the practitioner for acupressure sessions. It’s a self-healing technique that can be initiated with some useful knowledge of the process. So, now your health is in your hand. Begin the practice and improve your health magnificently.